Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Updates n' stuff

So. clearly I haven't posted in a while. I'm sorry, and I'm not. I'm not, because not too many people actually read this and depend on me for their daily 'scoop.' I am sorry because I've been thinking about blogging as a concept.

As you know, I used to run a cafe. about 97% of the recipes came out of my head. People would come in often and request that I write a cookbook or something with "all of my wonderful creations" in it. Now, if I were Magnolia Bakery, or Ina Garten, or Sara Foster, or Bobby Flay....sure! But being the guy who's running a restaurant scraping to get by? Sorry. You don't get the recipes so you can make them at home and not show up to buy them. Maybe when I sell my 500,000th scone I'll let you in on my secrets, but for now that's just what they are...my secrets.

How does this relate to blogging? I read lots of other food blogs daily (Dozen Flours, Baking Bites, Amateur Gourmet, to name a few) and they all have amazing pictures and recipes to go along with their posts! But obviously mine don't. If I perfect a recipe, I've usually tweaked it silly. I feel then, that it's my property (well not really, copyrights and recipes are up in the air). I ran a cafe. I loved my job. I will get more experience, more business know-how and hopefully do it again someday. AND I assure you, that when the customer walks out the door with that 500,000th scone, I will sit down at the typewriter until I have a book of beauty for all to see. Is this selfish? Tell me what you think. Those 3 or 4 of you who read PB&GC. If it is selfish...that's okay...because only 3 or 4 of you read PB&GC, and most of you are my friends and (I hope) would forgive me.

Update on the working front:




Last I posted I just had an interview with Kowalski's. Well, they didn't want me to be the manager for the Eagan store, the current bakery manager at the Grand store was going to take that position....but.... train me in as her replacement! It turned out I didn't have to do the 3am shift but pretty 'easy' 7-3 shifts. I worked there for 3ish weeks learning the ins and outs.... mostly of stocking shelves and turning over product. Wait what?! I know. NOT MY idea of a dream job. Hell, not my idea of a tolerable one! So I've been looking on craigslist as of late for new jobs and applied to a few.



Had an interview at 20.21 which went quite well and they asked me to return and do a stages.



I also heard from Michelle Gayer-Nicholson over at Salty Tart in the Midtown Global Market! If you don't know who she is, google her. The lady knows her stuff! Today we kept playing phone tag, and in the spirit of someone who would kick someone's ass to work with her, I went down there to check the place out and introduce myself. Friend, LL and I purchased a few things and I set up a stages. To work tomorrow morning! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Oh, needless to say... (This morning actually,) I quit Kowalski's and threw that ugly ass hat in their face!!

No comments: