Sunday, June 1, 2008

Stormy Tarts and BBQS


Yesterday, Saturday, I made a Strawberry Tart for a BBQ dinner party I attended.

I heard about this dinner party on Friday, so I put together the pastry and the pastry cream on Friday evening. and I went food shopping and I got some fun yums for the week ahead! I baked off the tart shell Sat am, then I spent Saturday afternoon boating, (snacks in hand).

On our way home from the boat, as soon as we got off of the highway he hit torrential rains and the worst hail I've seen! I pulled over to the side until I realized "Gus is outside!!!" I slowly made my way down the road, which looked white from the hail, and made it to the house just as the rain/hail stopped. EVERYTHING was white with dime-sized hail. Gus had never been so happy to see me. He was soaked and panting.

In about 30 minutes time, I showered and assembled the tart and glazed it, and even did my hair! (I hear the wonder woman theme playing).

At the BBQ, which wasn't really a BBQ anymore, due to the weather that had swooped through (ruining everyones hosta, flowers, and gardens.) I met Christine. A petite woman who worked with GG. She was a real sweetheart who loves flamenco, anything Latin, and looks a bit like "Lillith." Christine had two house guests in from Montreal. Constance, who had lived in the TC prior and Anthony, originally from London. Christine's beau, Mike arrived shortly thereafter (taking care of his storm-ridden brother's house a few blocks over). I offered my help in the kitchen, and after a while they let me cut pineapple! I pride myself of my pineapple knife skills. Had that baby diced in 2 minutes flat!
She made:

Guacamole - which was super delicious.
Guava marinated shrimp and pineapple skewers. - I had three!
Salad with a Pomagranite and charred red onion vinaigrette.
Grilled Veggies and Steaks and Hot dogs. Grilled corn as well.

All was very good, my favorite being the Shrimp. Yes, SHRIMP! I've only recently begun to embrace seafood.

The tart was a hit, though the pastry cream was a bit runny. I was scared to take the cream too hot at my place as I didn't have a whisk. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to beat the curdles out of it sufficiently. The taste, however, was great. (I added a splash of Brandy.) We stayed too late! Later today, Grand Ole Day!

No comments: